TCBA is excited to announce that our Youth Mentoring & Scholarship Program is back for another year!
This program is designed to help build interest in beekeeping while furthering the mission of the Travis County Beekeeper’s Association to help educate the public about the importance of pollinators. This award is presented to school age students, 17 years or younger, living in the Travis County area, or surrounding counties that are served by the TCBA. The scholarship consists of a beehive with bees and the beginner’s equipment necessary to get started in the beekeeping journey. Upon successful completion of the Youth Program, the recipient will be granted full ownership of the items provided. The recipient will also have the opportunity to participate in the “Apprentice” level of the Texas Master Beekeeper’s Program at no charge to the recipient.
A mentor will be selected to assist and supervise the recipient in good beekeeping practices, and to be a resource for the recipient throughout the year. Recipients will be expected to participate in a minimum of eight (8) mentoring sessions during the year, as well as attending a minimum of eight (8) TCBA monthly meetings. Parents are encouraged to attend all activities and are also encouraged to attend the TCBA meetings in support and encouragement of the recipient and the program.
2019 Program Description
● Applicants must be 18 years or younger
● Applicants must reside in Travis County or adjacent counties
● Applicants are not currently beekeepers themselves.
● Applicants must follow the application process to be considered for selection.
● Completed Applications must be received by March 30th (items received after March 30th will automatically be disqualified from the selection process)
The application process consists of 4 separate sections:
● a completed “Application & Agreement” form
● the Applicant’s hand-written essay
● the Applicant’s parent’s written comments and approval
● an in-person interview with the scholarship committee on Monday, April 1st, 2019
Each section of the application process is graded separately. Incorrect or incomplete packets lose valuable points. The Applicant with the highest total point value at the end of the selection process is accepted into the Youth Mentoring and Scholarship Program, under the following commitments:
Recipients must commit to:
● attend the April TCBA meeting to begin the process.
● attend a minimum of 8 TCBA meetings during the course of their first year
● participate in at least one TCBA volunteer booth to help promote the importance of honeybees
● participate in the TCBA’s annual fundraiser weekend event (date TBD) to help support future scholarships
● give a summary report of their activities (preferably via PowerPoint) to TCBA members at the November TCBA meeting
● attend the March TCBA meeting of the following year to give TCBA members a final report on their first year in beekeeping
Benefits to the Recipient:
Recipients will be given….
● use of a beehive, a colony of honeybees, and all necessary gear and equipment to begin their journey into beekeeping for a year
● the help of a mentor to learn good beekeeping practices, and as a resource for questions throughout the year
● a family membership with TCBA for one year
● access to TCBA’s extracting equipment to process his/her honey upon their first harvest
Successful Program Completion:
Upon successful completion of the year-long mentoring program, the recipient will be awarded the following:
● ownership of the beehive, bee colony, gear and equipment
● the opportunity to participate in the “Apprentice” level of the Texas Master Beekeeper Program at TCBA’s expense
● a Certificate of Achievement
If you are interested in applying for the TCBA Youth Mentoring & Scholarship Program, or might know someone who would be interested, you can download the Application here.
Completed Applications must be mailed to the Scholarship Committee and received by March 30th. Any applications postmarked after this date will automatically be disqualified. An in-person interview will be held on Monday, April 1st, 2019.